Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
CyberSource Peak Season Fraud Management Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

CRM Buyer Talkback

ECT News Community   »   CRM Buyer Talkback   »   Re: The Most Desirable Customer Data Plays Hardest to Get

Re: The Most Desirable Customer Data Plays Hardest to Get
Posted by: Christopher J. Bucholtz 2012-11-29 13:56:39
See Full Story

As a callow youth, I enlisted in the Navy and found myself at sea aboard the USS Gray as a bosun's mate. That meant standing a lot of watch on the bridge, and being on the bridge meant knowing how to report positions of other things based on a 360-degree arc. The idea was to have a 360-degree view of what was out there -- primarily so we didn't run into it. We had radar, and it provided a nice idea of the large items that were around us; all the contacts were written on a Plexiglas board on the bridge, with continual updates coming from the people manning the radar scopes.

Re: The Most Desirable Customer Data Plays Hardest to Get
Posted by: John-Paul_Narowski 2012-11-30 07:12:36 In reply to: Christopher J. Bucholtz
I think this is absolutely right. Purchasing and browsing activity, despite how much they reveal, are still only one small part of what makes a customer tick. But we want to believe in their predictive power because that whole notion of the complete, numbers-driven wraparound system is the dream CRMs are made of. After all, anyone with a rudimentary database system (hey, anyone with a pretty good spreadsheet!) can record contact information, purchases, contact history, and so on. Users have to think of a CRM as not a way to make their work just a mechanical process of data entry, but as a way to facilitate--not replace--the kind of real relationship-building that leads to repeat business and general goodwill.

John-Paul Narowski - founder of karmaCRM
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS