Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: OMG, Apple and Microsoft Have Traded Places

Re: OMG, Apple and Microsoft Have Traded Places
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2012-03-05 06:21:37
See Full Story

Apple and Microsoft have kind of switched places with their recent operating system refreshes. Microsoft, which is dominant with PCs but anything but on tablets and smartphones, is leveraging its smartphone platform heavily to create a new PC product. Apple, which is a small player with PCs but massively dominant with smartphones and tablets, is keeping the two technologies at arm's length. Microsoft's latest OS is a smartphone-like product, although it is weakest with smartphones. Apple's is a PC-like product, although it is weakest in that space.

Have to agree fully
Posted by: jescott418 2012-03-07 16:33:21 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Yes, I would also say that Microsoft is pursuing the path of one OS fits all approach which I also think would better fit Apple. But then I think about it and I have to say I think Apple knows that a computer function much differently at times then a Tablet. I think Apple can better tailor a OS for the iPad and the iPhone and also one for their Mac's. Here is the problem with Microsoft's approach.
They are offering up one OS for a multitude of hardware. If something fails to work its affecting all or most of that hardware.
If many users hate a feature they can expect that same feature on any device. Apple no doubt has won the Tablet battle, I would not be surprised to see Microsoft fail on their Tablet just like Android has. I do not know if Microsoft thought Windows 8 would work better if it was applied to all devices. But if users do not like it. That means they won't use it on any device.

An inconsistent experience
Posted by: ViewRoyal 2012-03-05 16:54:40 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Enderle: "Windows 8 is effectively a hybrid of its mobile and desktop platforms and comes closer to providing a consistent experience across all of its client products."

Quite the opposite.

Having "a hybrid of its mobile and desktop platform" on a desktop PC is a jarring and INCONSISTENT experience.

Also, having an ARM tablet that runs the same Metro interface, but CAN'T run Windows software on it, will also be an INCONSISTENT experience.

Trading Places.
Posted by: jimstead 2012-03-05 11:18:28 In reply to: Rob Enderle
"Arm's length"? Baloney. Mac os x and ios are forks of the same operating system, each tuned to the environment it runs on.
Jump to: