Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Microsoft Tells WinPho7 Devs to Build, CDMA Carriers to Wait

Re: Microsoft Tells WinPho7 Devs to Build, CDMA Carriers to Wait
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2010-09-18 13:19:57
See Full Story

Microsoft released the Windows Phone 7 software development kit on the Web Thursday, just over two weeks after the WinPho7 platform had been released to manufacturing. This release is in English only, but versions in French, Italian, German and Spanish will be available in "the next couple of weeks," Brandon Watson wrote on the Windows Phone Developer Blog. The WinPho7 platform will have game apps as well as apps for Twitter, Netflix and other services. The SDK will have several new controls as well as Bing Maps, and Microsoft also released its Mobile Advertising SDK on Thursday.

Let's get some perspective.
Posted by: tony4life 2010-09-18 13:36:04 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Let's do the "math." LTE (4G) is coming to Verizon next year. It's the standard I hear AT&T is also going to use. CDMA will be phased out gradually but people will want new handsets that utilize the latest technology. I have a Motorola Droid. I'm happy with it and enjoy that newer handsets with more capabilities are being released but I wouldn’t buy a new one now. I'm perfectly OK with waiting until late 2011 when I'm eligible for an upgrade discount and I intend to get a LTE capable handset that will likely be CDMA downward compatible. I’ll be ready to move forward! Why would a manufacturer want to produce a handset after 2010 that is only CDMA? However, making GSM handsets now (and into 2011) makes sense because of the global acceptance of the standard and the need of global business travelers. I'm sticking with Verizon because my experience tells me that they are planning well and assure I get a voice signal in most of the United States which is where I live and work. My VZW data experience is consistently excellent too. Win7 still has to establish itself and I'm happy to let the T-Mobile and AT&T users be guinea pigs. Microsoft, if you come to Verizon next year with something that will be competitive against Android and we’ll talk if you’re not too late and get to me before I’ve upgraded to the latest LTE-capable Android handset!
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS