Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Facebook's Bossy, Cagey Privacy Maneuvers

Re: Facebook's Bossy, Cagey Privacy Maneuvers
Posted by: Paul Hartsock 2009-12-11 10:19:05
See Full Story

In making a move meant to enhance user privacy, Facebook went about things in a kind of intrusive way this week. As you know, the site started out as a college-kids-only social network, and the content you'd find on Facebook at that time reflected the demographic in all its boozy glory. But now Facebook's for everyone, and it's a serious enterprise, so the company felt compelled to give a stern lecture to all of its members, regardless of age, reminding them to grow up and review their privacy settings, lest the photos of their silly antics with a bottle of Captain Morgan be exposed to the world at large.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
Posted by: technologyb2b 2009-12-11 17:56:44 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
Here's what you need to know before you install Windows 7 on your PC. Run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for advice on ensuring your PC can run Windows 7.

Required?
Posted by: rclef 2009-12-11 10:24:26 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
Man, I wish journalists could stick to the facts but on the otherhand, I'm sure this journalist didn't even want this story... regardless, facts are still important.
I changed my privace settings yesterday when I logged on because a window popped up after I signed in but I was not "required" to do so. As always, there was a "skip for now" option at the bottom of the window; so no, I wasn't "required" to take action. Stick to the facts!

Required.
Posted by: PaulHartsock 2009-12-13 08:22:48 In reply to: rclef
rclef:

Thanks for writing in. In regard to Facebook requiring its members to review their privacy settings, that "skip for now" option you saw on the pop-up only appeared so many times before users were given no other choice than to review their settings. Personally, I was allowed to "skip for now" only once. The second time, my only option was to look at the privacy page.

In other words, whether users chose to take care of matters the first time (as you did), or whether they chose to procrastinate until no longer given a choice (my experience), the end result was that all users were required to review their settings. This was mentioned in the article in question, and it has been reported elsewhere.

Of course, in a broader sense, you are right: Nobody was physically forced to do anything. If users really didn't want to do any of this, they could just abandon Facebook altogether.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS