Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
CyberSource Peak Season Fraud Management Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Ghosts of E-Business Past, Present & Future

Re: Ghosts of E-Business Past, Present & Future
Posted by: Elizabeth Millard 2003-12-12 14:26:41
See Full Story

In the immortal words of philosopher and cultural critic George Santayana, those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it. Ebenezer Scrooge, the protagonist of Charles Dickens' famous play A Christmas Carol, likely would have agreed with this sentiment. In a similar vein, as the holiday season progresses and the prospect of an economic recovery looms, e-businesses would do well to heed the lessons of their fallen predecessors. Can they manage to learn from past failures, navigate the challenges of the present and face the future with renewed prospects for success?

Re: Ghosts of E-Business Past, Present & Future
Posted by: jorgecerra 2003-12-12 17:05:23 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
First, thanks for your daily and interesting information. - I would like only to comment about the importance, I think not well understood by some companies, of the necessary due consideration for people who buy something through Internet. On one hand, I have the perception that this year it could be a golden opportunity for e-commerce to strongly take-off and become trustworthy for common people like me, but, regarding the article, I want to say that not only the principles of economics apply to this area, as the Law also fully applies to it, but also the ways of treating customers. Do some companies really think that they will survive without excellent mercantile practices, attention to the client despite they have already charged his/her credit card, and good customer services? Which business mentality but a virtual one could pretend that 30% of very bad ratings from buyers in an e-commerce company can be translated by a portal into 3.5 stars out of 5 ? In fact, 190 buyers out of 655 have been disapointed, annoyed and even some of them felt deceived. Many of them are still waiting some response, as I am after five e-mails without answers. I think that is not the way to boost e-commerce. My experience is being uncomfortable and not very pleasant in this case. I don't think of course I will buy there again, neither in the portal that puts the stars nor in its wherabouts probably. Next year I will probably buy in the little shop around the corner or, perhaps, I will discover virtual good manners somewhere else in the world. - Thank you very much, and apologies for my english. Jorge Cerra
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS