Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: 21st Century Alchemy: Turning Tweets Into Gold

Re: 21st Century Alchemy: Turning Tweets Into Gold
Posted by: Michael Liedtke 2009-07-12 14:27:07
See Full Story

It turns out the media elite aren't so different from a lot of less affluent folks: They think Twitter is a great communications tool, but can't figure out how the online messaging service is going to make money. The recurring doubts about Twitter's moneymaking potential cropped up again Wednesday as an exclusive media summit hosted by investment banker Allen & Co. got under way at the posh Sun Valley resort. One of the first sessions focused on how to capitalize on digital media. Twitter quickly became a focal point of the discussion.

The problem: Twitter's lack of openness
Posted by: LoudounWineries 2009-07-12 14:43:49 In reply to: Michael Liedtke
Twitter seems to be restricting its business model to exactly how it feels Twitter should be used.

For example, Twitter does not have a setting to allow automatic retweets of 'those I follow.' This is a big shortcoming, especially for my account which serves a specific interest group of followers. Auto-retweets of those I follow would allow followers of my account (the customer group of those my account follows) to be receive tweets of interest. There are work-arounds, but those work-arounds don't show follower pic-icons and consume valuable character real estate in a Twitter post.

Twitter has forbidden auto-retweeting. Why? If it helps identify a business model, is it not in their best interest?

@LoudounWineries
http://Twitter.com/LoudounWineries
Jump to: